Thursday, August 6, 2009

To Catch A Chic Case

As a child, my family had a set of hardside Samsonite luggage* that we used every time we traveled (which was 98% by car). Everything was a dull mustard yellow, and each about 50 pounds completely empty. I think I was about 10 years old when I realized that these suitcases were probably twice my age, at best, from that time in the 70s when Baby Puke Yellow was the height of chic. But the one piece I always had an odd fascination with, partly because I was able to help my parents by carrying it into the hotel room all by myself, was the makeup/toiletries case. It was small, but big enough to hold all of my mother's 1980's arsenal of makeup and hairspray, had a million compartments and pouches around the inside, and a little mirror in the lid. Not only that, but it satisfyingly latched in the front with two silver, metal levers that popped in and out could take your finger off if you weren't careful.

These are the memories that came flooding back to me when I stumbled across this beautiful Cole Haan Raleigh Train Makeup Case. It's like the chic version of my memories, like something you would have seen Grace Kelly carrying in a Hitchcock film. But although it looks like something you might find in mint condition at a vintage store, this is a new arrival to the 2009 Cole Haan collection. The inside has a nice mirror, although is sadly short on pockets for the 3,000 curlers, sprays, and pomades it would take to get your hair into a Grace Kelly-esque hairstyle. But at least this one looks like it will open and close without the threat of injury, not to mention the soft leather exterior.

Although you don't have to take the train to rock this fabulous piece, I can't help but get visions of blonde damsels in distress wearing white gloves, headscarves, and big sunglasses when I look at it.

*I'm pretty dang sure my parents still have this luggage set in the basement somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment